This old post card from before the days of Interstate 79 shows Falls Mills when Rt. 19 (along with Rt.
4) was the main route to Braxton County from north central West Virginia.
|The rock ledge (part of the mill site) is much more prevalent in this photo taken May 9, 1930
|A frozen Little Kanawha River swirls a large hunk of ice at Falls Mills on Feb. 10, 2007
|Falls Mills - Little Kanawha River
from John D. Sutton's History of Braxton County and Central Wet Virginia . . .
Haymond's Mill, seventeen miles northeast of Sutton on the Little Kanawha river, was built by John
Haymond in the year 1808, and was for many years owned by William Haymond who was one of the
county's best known citizens. This mill was equipped with buhrs, carding machine and saw. It was run
by an overshot wheel, and was considered a very valuable property. It did more business than any
other mill in the county. This property has fallen into different hands since the death of Mr. Haymond.
Mr. Milton Johnson from Preston County, came into possession of the mill and put in a roller process,
but the mill has gone down and there is now nothing of value left except the water power.